[Rhodes22-list] Old R22 cockpit sole pic - I cut it out :(

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Mar 31 18:06:33 EDT 2018

Hi Steve,

I am sailing my second Rhodes 22, a 1991 with IMF, a much better constructed
version than my original Rhodes 22 (pre-IMF delivered by Stan in the spring
of 1981).   Both have provided many hours of pleasure and frustration.

The following is from a post that I made in February 2009, before I owned
the '91 R22 on a cockpit sole repair solution:

Several years ago I faced a similar problem with the cockpit floor of my '81
R22.  The floor had two additional major problems, both responsible for the
admission of water.  When the boat was new, we witnessed the development of
"star burst" patterns of damage in the cockpit floor gelcoat.  They were
circular with radial lines extending 3 to 4 inches from the  center.  Over
the years, water must have entered the glass layers in the floor through
these defects to cause the second and more serious problem: the separation
or delamination of the floor components.  The freeze and thaw cycles of the
NY winter increased the damage to floor, using the trapped water as a wedge.
This became evident when the floor "oil canned" as a large bubble formed
beneath the upper layers.  This was compounded by the destruction of the
foam below as water continued to pass through the floor, destroying the
support system for the cockpit floor.  Eventually, the top layer of the
floor cracked and I was able to see into the separated layers directly.

I concentrated my efforts on rebuilding the cockpit floor to take the
punishment that it gets in normal use.  After drilling holes in the floor to
access the internal layers, I spent several months drying out the floor
using acetone and fans while keeping water out of the cockpit using tarps.
I added structural wood supports and plywood to the foam below the cockpit.
I removed all damaged foam and replaced it.  When the structure below was
solid and the floor was dry, I used penetrating epoxy from West Marine to
reattach the layers of glass injected through 1/8" holes, compressing the
floor down using bricks on wax paper.  Once that the epoxy had cured, I
filled the holes and any remaining voids using 105/206/407, finishing flush
with the gel coat.

Because I am not skilled enough with gel coat repairs and wish to prevent a
similar failure in the future, I finished the cockpit floor with
"Treadmaster Original Smooth Pattern" anti-slip deck covering.  It is about
$150 per 3' x 4' sheet, is 1/8" thick and is secured with water proof
adhesive.  I used two sheets, one white and another blue, cut into each
other.  This restored the cockpit floor, providing a really comfortable (on
the feet) polymer surface that absorbs shock well and prevent water from
entering the floor.

After an entire season of use, I can honestly say that it is the most
comfortable cockpit floor that I have ever felt.  The upkeep is easy.  The
surface is non-skid and soft under foot.  I should have put it in years ago.

A photo of the floor may be viewed in the original message at:

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20090203/b248046
5/attachment.jpg

Good luck restoring the cockpit sole and support.

Mike

s/v Wind Lass ('91)

Nissequogue River, NY