[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Purchase

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Sun May 13 19:17:46 EDT 2018

I love mine.  I bought a relatively new boat (2002) so I settled for a
partial refit.   I accepted the almost perfect original paint, but Stan’s
crew shined it up amazingly.   She got a fresh bootstripe, rubrail and
bottom paint.   The interior was refreshed.   I wanted LED light upgrades to
minimize current drain.   Stan replaced the batteries as well as a faulty
solar cell.   Cabin cushions were new, the cockpit ones were gently used.
The rig was new.  I upgraded sails  afterword.   I probably would have been
wise to do that on day one, but I’ve also been lucky in accumulating hours
under heavy wind.   Stan will give his honest opinion, not a sales pitch.
I’ve met other owners, this group will do the same.    These boats do get
regular use in a lot of waters.

If I bought a rough boat I’d have made many mistakes and false starts,
despite having practice screwing up on my old 18 footer. I don’t regret
sailing instead of inhaling epoxy fumes.   My project cost would have been
much higher than Stan if I figured the cost of not working while I worked on
the boat.

My options:   New trailer.    I have the single axle version, I don’t know
which is better.   I retrofitted LED lights for the rear, maybe they finally
come with the trailer.    I take a road trip each year to escape my puddle.
Pop top tent.   Essential for marina hopping, good for mosquitoes at anchor.
Bimini top.   I seldom use it unless my lady is along.   The boat opens up
wonderfully with the pop top up and the Bimini up.    Marine head.   Girls
don’t like the can.   Captains chairs (the best invention ever).   IMF.   I
don’t have experience rigging lazy jacks to compare.   I like in mast
furling for evening sails, but singlehanded reefing in a squall can be
exciting.  I also kept a splash board with compass made by the prior owner.
I’m very glad I bought it.

Regrets.    I didn’t have a bilge pump installed.   I added that myself
after a bird nest clogged my scuppers and filled my bilge during a downpour.
Some lakes don’t allow gray water (galley sink) to dispose overboard, you
may need to rig a holding tank if anybody checks.   The galley pump failed
after the warranty expired, but replacement is simple.   I wasted time on a
rebuild kit, a reminder why I had Stan do the original refit.    The boat is
heavy and has a lot of stays.   One person can rig and launch, but it takes
a couple hours.

I think it’s a great coastal pocket cruiser and daysailor.   The diamond
board is good in thin water.  Stan’s quality isn’t quite Halberg Rassy, but
there are fewer zeros in the check and it trailer launches much better.
It is significantly better then the mass produced boats.   The storage
(including putting totes under the seats) is amazing compared to most
trailer launchables if you plan on cruising.   I haven’t used the shore
power.

Alex
Urbana Ohio

-----