[Rhodes22-list] How to use the new traveler? Racing

joseph doucet jadoucet at snet.net
Thu May 31 17:47:09 EDT 2018

One of my earlier racing experiences was watching the Kennedy’s race J24s as if they were dinghies in Hyannis port.  The start is the most exciting part of the race.

1. Try to start on a starboard tack if this looks advantageous.

2. Get the audio “Countdown” timer for your iPhone.  Set it for the time of the second horn/gun. This will give you an audio countdown of the minutes, then the seconds during the last minute. Be prepared to hit the line just after the start.

When driving to the line You can adjust your speed with the Jib.  If you have a boat up wind of you and you have overlap, then that boat is burdened and you can drive it windward to luff their sails.  This slows them down. At the start you turn downwind first to gain an advantage.

If you do not get a good start tack away from the fleet as soon as possible.  Following the other boats is not a winning strategy because you will be sailing in disturbed wind.

There are many strategies, which is what makes it fun. For example instead of tacking  into the final dash to the line, try jibing. It will give you a higher boat speed out of the turn.

Joe

Joseph Doucet
70 pumping station rd
Ridgefield , ct USA