[Rhodes22-list] Steps to raise/lower mast

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Nov 6 15:35:46 EST 2018

Alexis,

Welcome to the group, and congratulations on what I assume is the recent purchase of a Rhodes 22.

Chris Cowie got to the reply button quicker than I did (twice now, he’s fast), but I’ll add a few points..

It matters whether your boat has the In Mast Furling (IMF) mainsail or a standard mainsail (the IMF mast is heavier).

As Chris suggests, it matters whether or not you’ve got mast raising and lowering equipment made by General Boats.  With the General Boats equipment (and some practice) raising and lowering the mast is a pretty easy process.  Without it, well I’m not sure, I have the General Boat equipment so I’ve never had to do it another way.  There’s been a few versions of the raising and lowering equipment over the years, but it usually involves a winch on about a 4 foot ‘gin pole’, and about a 6 foot tall crutch that mounts at the stern of the boat which catches the mast before it’s fully horizontal.

Let us know more about your new (to you) boat.

Also, it might be helpful to know where your boat is.  There might be another Rhodie nearby.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)