[Rhodes22-list] Curved Rudder | 84 Rhodes 22

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Nov 26 18:41:13 EST 2018

Graham/Bob,

> “In the beginning” ... The centerboard and the rudder blade we’re the same identical foil.  It was a very hydrodynamically efficient high aspect ratio foil.  At some point in the 1980’s (?) Stan changed the designs of the centerboard and rudder blade.  So, if you have a 1976 boat, your rudder blade is going to be thinner vs a newer boat.  Stan claims the new rudder and centerboard offer better performance vs the older parts.  But, that claim flies in the face of hydrofoil theory, so I’m a little sceptical.  I’d love to see an old vs new boat match race.

Bob, I may have misunderstood something.  Did your boat come with a bent rudder blade or did you notice the bend recently after the boat was sitting on the trailer.  In the picture, it looks like the boat has sunk into the ground loading up the rudder blade.

Roger Pihlaja
SV Dynamic Equilibrium
Sent from my iPhone