[Rhodes22-list] trouble putting the centerboard back in place

John Carlson john_carlson at mac.com
Mon Apr 22 14:15:58 EDT 2019

I’ve got a 2004 (recycled in 2012) boat with the “diamond” (center) board. I pulled the boat out of the lake (Waco) the last time I thought it was flooding to do some maintenance. I ended up I lifting the diamond board out to refinish it as it was in surprisingly rough shape. I’ve relied on the great notes here: http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/r22boardtrunk.pdf <http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/r22boardtrunk.pdf>, although this describes an older centerboard design.

Anyway, I dropped the renewed diamond board back in place with help, but I don’t think it seated correctly. I didn’t realize until after replacing the fiberglass hood that I couldn’t raise the board with the pennant. The bottom of the board is resting on a rubber roller on the trailer, but I should be able to pull it up a couple of inches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Should I:
1. remove the hood, raise the board and try to reseat it?
2. jack the board up from the bottom to see it I can budge it to reseat?
3. wait until the boat is floating to drop the board and hope it re-seats correctly?

I am loathe to do 1 and don’t want to if it is really unnecessary. Any advice or ideas?

John Carlson
2004/12 Rhodes 22 Lillipelli