[Rhodes22-list] Mold under the cockpit sole and in the bilge & lazarette?

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 22 15:46:58 EDT 2019

My 2002 has no visible glass modifications.   It only had water in the
lazarette when the backyard boatyard (i.e. myself) got careless with the
pressure washer.  No water made it into the bilge with a couple inches in
the lazarette.    When the cockpit drains were plugged by sabotaging birds
the cockpit held a couple inches of water and the bilge was full to the CB
cap.  The lazarette was dry.    I think water was entering the cabin from
the CB pennant tube since the companionway step was wet.  I tore out the
plywood cockpit sole (no rubber blocks were found) and step.   The CB tube
had somehow trapped a gelatinous mass of composting bird nest that formed a
self sealing plug and allowed free movement of the pennant or even a length
of wire 'snake'.   Stan might study this as an all natural perpetually
reforming gasket for future projects.

Despite all my efforts, I have never smelled mold.

>From what I've been able to figure out, the cockpit liner forms a bathtub
that would require water up to the air (raccoon) gaps to pass to or from the
lazarette.   Likewise water in the cockpit would have to be near the level
of the seats to overflow into the cabin (via a "s trap" ventilation chase of
various liners opening under the cockpit seats).    I assumed
(optimistically?)  the height was calculated by the waterline of a breached
boat in calm water, so water would not overflow the compromised space.  At
least it exceeded descriptions in the archive of a flooded cabin (water
almost reaching the cushions).   Aside from any weep holes I did not see,
the liners blocked off the foam under the cockpit.  I'm certainly not second
guessing Stan, but perhaps we are miscommunicating?

As a slightly paranoid occasional cruiser with dreams of more, I really want
to know exactly where water goes when, just in case.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark