[Rhodes22-list] hatch on foredeck

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 12:21:30 EST 2019

Graham, Peter, and Mary Lou, thanks for your replies.  Mary Lou, you have an
encyclopedic knowledge of R22 history.  Thanks for continuing to post even
after selling your R22.  I read quite a bit about different pocket cruisers
before deciding what type of boat I wanted and your chapter in the Sailing
Small book helped steer me towards a Rhodes 22.

Since I'm installing the solar vent fan in the anchor locker hole near the
bow, I'll just see how sleeping in the v-birth goes with that in place.  The
former owner wired in a fan to the electrical connection for the light above
the porta potty and I can point that towards the v-birth to help with
airflow.  The former owner also left onboard another 12v fan that I could
plug in and use in the main part of the cabin if needed.  I would be
reluctant to cut another hole in the deck since each additional hole comes
with it's own risk of water problems and adding a hatch would involve
additional expense.

It appears that use of solar vent fan in the existing 3" hole near the bow
is a common approach.  As I was installing mine, it occurred to me that this
could affect anchoring since the bow cleat is aft of the solar vent.  For
those with a solar vent, I was wondering what approach you take for running
the rode.  Here are some approaches that came to mind initially:

- Run the rode around the outside of the bow pulpit to avoid any pressure
against the solar vent.  With this approach, perhaps the rode could be run
through the u-bolt on the hull on the bow to ensure the anchor rode extends
directly in front of the boat

-Run alongside and against the the solar vent.  With this approach, perhaps
it would be possible to put some sort of protection around the solar vent
when anchoring.  I was concerned that pressure from the rode against the
solar vent could cause damage to the plastic solar vent or chafe against the
sealant at the base of the solar vent.

- Use some sort of bridal system that would go around both sides the solar
vent and perhaps outside the bow pulpit.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.  I've done very little anchoring so
I'm especially a novice in this area.