[Rhodes22-list] hatch on foredeck

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Dec 2 07:09:30 EST 2019

Hi All,

S/V Dynamic Equilibrium has had black UV stabilized ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (ie Starboard although that brand wasn’t available back then) slides on the cabin top and the companionway hatch since 1992.  I also use 2” wide Teflon tape under the companionway hatch slide as a wear surface so the hatch or cabin roof are not worn down.  I had to replace the Teflon tape once in 2012, so I’m getting about 20 years of life on the wear surface.  The UHMWPE slides still look new after 27+ seasons, are easy to clean, and completely maintenance free.  I like the gloss black look; but, some people prefer the varnished wood look.  Pound per pound UHMWPE is one of the most expensive polymers, which might explain why it isn’t used more by boat makers.  The material is used a lot for whitewater kayak hulls, which are subject to tremendous abuse!  The central hull on my Walker Bay RIB is made from UHMWPE.  It came with a 10 year warranty, which is the longest warranty period in the inflatable industry. The RIB is now 7 years old.  Except for a few minor scratches up on the bow, it still looks new

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone