[Rhodes22-list] hatch on foredeck

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Dec 3 13:12:53 EST 2019

Mike:

Your advice is totally rational but, unfortunately, for some of us a rational approach to boat restoration just gets ignored. Hence, we do it - repeatedly.

My advice is that you should not undertake a rebuild just because you want a better boat. If that is your motivation you probably will not finish. It takes forever and probably cost far more than simply buying a boat in better condition.

There are only two good reasons to undertake a major restoration:
1. you actually enjoy the process regardless of how long, expensive and/or painful it is, or
2, you believe that boats feel pain and are unhappy in their current condition.

If both conditions apply, you have no choice. We are more to be pitied than scorned.

Graham