[Rhodes22-list] Trailering with outboard

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Wed Dec 4 21:21:01 EST 2019

Mitch,

During the time my boat was being recycled by General Boats, I purchased an outboard online, and had it shipped to Edenton so Stan’s crew could rig up the tiller-motor connection.  The model I chose was an 8 HP Mercury 4 stroke, with a weight of around 90 pounds as I recall.  When I eventually arrived in Edenton to take possession, the outboard was mounted on the stern, in the proprietary General Boats outboard mounting gizmo.  The GB crew told me that I should leave the motor mounted, but also to tie a line from the motor to the aft pulpit as a safety measure.  They suggested that I arrange things so that the railing was taking about half the weight of the outboard.

So, unless you have some reason to suspect that the structural integrity of the stern motor mount has been comprised in some way, I’d say that’s where it should stay.  With the addition of the safety line, of course.

If you do decide to put the outboard in the cockpit of the cabin, I’d use lots and lots of padding.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)