[Rhodes22-list] hatch on foredeck

Art Czerwonky a_czerwonky at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 09:13:20 EST 2019

Graham,
We are on the same page, my friend.  Is the R22 Rummy's boat. We can all recall when he had his bill redone in yellow.
Art

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 11:39 PM, Graham Stewart<gstewart8 at cogeco.ca> wrote:   Rick:

Well said.

For me restoring the boat was something I actually enjoyed. If I saw it as a chore I would have quit many years ago.  In fact, my Rhodes was the second boat that I did an extensive restoration of. The first was a 19' 1960 mahogany lapstrake boat which  required that I replace everything below the waterline (including steam bent oak ribs) and  transom. That took me 10 years of summer free time with at least one year when I did nothing due to illness. Then, last year I reworked the deck using strips of mahogany. That took most of the year preparing the material during the winter and installing the deck in the summer. None of that activity reflected a sound financial calculation but it looks awesome.

For me the work is like a hobby rather than a task and what hoppy reflects a justified rationale for the use of money or time? I don't follow sports and could not imagine spending hours every weekend watching games on my TV and, in the end, having absolutely nothing to show for it. But for those who do enjoy watching sports the time is well spent.

I do it because it interests me, is a creative outlet, and provides something to be proud of. So I have spent the last 20 plus years of my free time working on two old boats - neither of which has much value even now but are sound, beautiful and will last another 40+ years. Given that I am in my mid 70s 40 years will probably suffice. I love the challenge of doing something that I think is way beyond my competence. Everything I have done I approached as a total novice often not having a clue at the beginning how to actually accomplish what I needed to do.

If this was just about time and money no one would ever undertake a restoration twice. You can't be that naïve twice. It seems to me that anyone I have had contact who had built a boat or done major restoration has done it on multiple occasions.

Messing around in boats is often its own reward - if you are inclined that way.

Graham Stewart
Agile 1976 Rhodes 22
Kingston Ontario