[Rhodes22-list] placing the boat on trailer

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Dec 7 13:50:11 EST 2019

Graham,

There should be a means to adjust the vertical position of each of the posts that support the bunks on your trailer.  As the boat is moved fore and aft, the shape of the bunks must be adjusted at each support post to conform to the new position and shape of the hull. In your case, it sounds like the front most post needs to be lowered and the rear most post needs to be raised at the very least.  You are correct, assuming the trailer is on level ground and there isn’t a lot of weight in the stern, when the trailer bow winch is released, the bow should not spring back from the bracket.

If you are uncomfortable attempting these adjustments, I suggest you take the boat on its trailer to a reputable boat dealer.  They will have technicians that will position the boat on the trailer for proper tongue weight and then adjust the bunks to fit the hull.  They will charge you for this service; but, at least you will be assured the trailer is properly adjusted to fit your boat.  It will be money well spent.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium