[Rhodes22-list] placing the boat on trailer

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Dec 10 16:10:26 EST 2019

Peter,

Besides the trailer’s bow winch, I use a back-up nylon strap in case of trailer winch or cable failure.  Then, I have another 2” nylon strap from the trailer frame angled up to the boat’s bow eye to prevent forward motion and keep the boat on the trailer even if it should flip over.  At the stern, I attach two 2” nylon straps to the stern eyes and run them criss cross under the hull to pad eyes on the trailer frame.  These prevent the stern from shifting side to side and also keep the boat with the trailer.  I used to use 2 long nylon straps over the gunnels to the trailer frame.  But, I didn’t like the way they loaded up the hull when they were tightened.  The stern straps secure the boat to the trailer very securely and they are more gentle on the hull.  So, all my trailer tie down points are made using the designed in strong points at the bow and stern eyes.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone