[Rhodes22-list] boat lift

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sat Dec 14 10:45:15 EST 2019

Jesse:
I built a large boat lift to enable me to work on the bottom as I knew it
would be a big job and I wanted to be able to get under the boat while
sitting. I also had to do some major reconstruction of the keel that
required that I get right under the bottom of the keel. I further justified
the lift by virtue of the fact that I have two other boats and I can use it
to clean and bottom paint them as well. Otherwise, the lift would be
overkill.

I simply back the boat into the lift on its trailer, lift the boat (I use
two 2-ton chain hoists) and remove the trailer. I then place a cross member
under the hull with a vertical support for insurance should the boat drop on
my head while I am under the keel as that would likely ruin my whole day.
The cross piece also stabilizes the boat and avoids having it rock back and
forth as I work on the hull. It is surprising how much the boat will swing
just with a sanding or scrubbing action if the cross piece is not in place.
It is like a pendulum and each swing gets bidder as the momentum increases.

The rig has removable wheels so I can store it in my neighbors' field.

I have attached a better picture of the lift. The vertical legs are 6x6" 12'
long. I made the space between the verticals 9'. It works but 10' or greater
would have been better. The diagonal bracing was placed on the exterior in
order to be able to lift the boat higher. For regular bottom work where the
lift does not need to be so high the bracing could be left inside the main
frame saving space and material.

My neighbors call the lift the "gallows" and wonder what I use it for. I
like to keep them guessing.

Graham Stewart
Agile 1976 Rhodes 22
Kingston Ontario