[Rhodes22-list] Silicone sealant used on cabin windows

mweisner at ebsmed.com mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jan 10 18:25:11 EST 2019

The problem with the silicone sealant is that it is meant to used as a
compression gasket material.  The port light plastic tends to pull away from
the complex curves of the fiberglass surface since the materials expand and
contract at different rates.  The plastic fails to compress the silicone
over time and the seal fails.  The silicone material may last 50 years but,
in my experience, the seal fails in 3 to 4 years.

An alternative sealant suggested by Rummy for the hull joint but may work
fine here is as follows (thank you Graham):

For those who want more information on the sealant Rummy used for his deck

hull join now called Master Seal NP-1 (formerly Sonolastic NP 1) the spec

sheet is available here:

http://assets.master-builders-solutions.basf.com/Shared%20Documents/EB%20Con

struction%20Chemcials%20-%20US/Construction%20Systems/Data%20Guides/MasterSe

al/basf-masterseal-np-1-tds.pdf .   (Note: The link is still valid on
1-10-19, copy attached)

The sealant seems to have all of the properties that would be advisable for

such an application such as high flexibility, can be immersed in water,

tenacious, sticks to anything and is available in a range of colours such as

off white. It appears to be available at Home Depot and is much cheaper than

the traditional marine sealants.

It is not clear that Beckson Marine would recommend it but it probably
wouldn't hurt the plastic.

Mike

s/v Wind Lass ('91)

Nissequogue River, NY