[Rhodes22-list] Silicone sealant used on cabin windows

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 10 23:50:03 EST 2019

I love butyl tape as a sealant for hardware above the waterline and used it
extensively on my boat but you need to keep in mind that it has very little
adhesive strength - which you want with windows. Further, to create a proper
seal it needs to be compressed very firmly until the butyl squeezes out of
the joint. Personally I would be reluctant to use it for windows where you
want the joint to have some space so that there is room for movement through
the difference in thermal expansion between the window and the deck -
especially on larger windows.

Graham Stewart
Agile 1976 Rhodes 22
Kingston Ontario