[Rhodes22-list] Adding wraps to IMF with mast up

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Tue Jul 23 12:07:59 EDT 2019

Jerry,

I had the same problem a month ago. I put a new mainsail on the IMF at the
beginning of the season. Furling the sail in the first heavy wind caused it
to wrap tighter than I was able to wrap it by hand so I did not have enough
turns of the furling line on the IMF barrel.

I was able to add turns without dropping the mast. With the sail furled as
far as the furling line would allow, I passed a small wire through the slot
in the block that connects the goose neck to the mast. This slot on my boat
is right at the furling barrel of the IMF. I used this wire as a messenger
line to pull the furling line an additional turn around the barrel. I had to
do this twice to furl the main to the sunbrella triangle.

Hope this helps.

Chris on LBI

-----
Long Beach Island