[Rhodes22-list] Motor Lift Cutout Circuit

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 23:56:10 EDT 2019

As I posted a few days ago, I’ve just bought a beautiful 1986 Rhodes refurbed
in 2010. I’ve spent very little time on the boat and don’t pick it up until
this Monday.

The boat has many neat features including the electric motor lift. I may be
unnecessarily worrying about this, but I worry about a 2500 lb pull winch
not stopping when it should while raising the motor, either through a
malfunction or some stupid mistake I or someone else might make. I’ve been
playing with an idea I’d like to post and get some feedback from others who
may have thought about this and anyone who knows more about diodes than the
very limited knowledge I have.

I hope my PDF will show up on this post. Since I didn’t have the boat in
front of me when I started designing this, I have no idea if it is feasible.
Basically I envision the motor coming up and when it is the proper height,
some part of the motor or lift system pushes a lever when extends through
the transom into the lazarette. (a small hole would need to be drilled
through the transom, perhaps with some sort of rubber boot to semi seal the
opening) This lever pushes on a spring loaded rod and breaks the circuit for
the up current stopping the lift motor. The diode would prevent any current
flowing to the up side when the circuit is broken, but would allow the
reverse current to lower the motor. The diode and contacts would be enclosed
in some sort of plastic electrical box. One question I have for those with
electrical knowledge is what diode would I use for a 12V 30 amp circuit?

Thanks for looking at this crazy idea,

George Morgan
Lift_cutout.pdf
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t909/Lift_cutout.pdf>