[Rhodes22-list] boom hitting back stays

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 23:16:58 EDT 2019

Hi everyone, I'm now a Rhodes 22 owner.  My boat arrived to Council
Bluffs, Iowa from Florida on Thursday night, a friend and I put the mast up
on Friday night after work, and I took it sailing on Saturday and Sunday.
For the first couple of sails I went with some experienced people at our
club.  The Rhodes 22 isn't quite like anything else around here so it really
sticks out from the usual boats around this size.  It is quite popular!

On the first trip out, I had yet to do a formal tuning.  Wind was 12-14
knots.  I was having issues with the boom getting stuck on the back stay,
which led to some exciting moments when I wanted to de-power by letting out
the sheet but it was stuck.  Simply pushing on the back stay let the boom go
out but I obviously have something incorrect.

With the help of a friend who had a Loo's guage, this morning we tuned the
rigging according to the IMF instructions posted by Roger Pihlaja at the
link below.
http://www.rhodes22.org/doclib/Rhodes22-RigTuning.doc

The upper sidestays are at 300 lb and the lower sidestays are at 200 lb.
While under sail I have the backstay tensioner cleated off, though I
neglected to measure the tension with the guage.

I'm still having issues with the boom hitting the backstay.  There are a
couple of work arounds:
1. Lower the main (requires the pop top to be down) and lowers boom
clearance for everyone in the cockpit
2. Pull the traveler bar slightly towards the rear rail with a load strap.
This isn't ideal since it puts some bend in the back stays where it is not
intended.

I forgot to take a photo of the whole stern to show entire setup, but I
attached a couple of photos that provide some perspective.  One shows how I
used a load strap to pull the traveler bar slightly towards the rear rail.
The second is me (starboard side in blue life jacket where you can see the
traveler bar, backstays, and the backstay tensioner.  The third shows how
much clearance there is for the boom against the backstay when there is low
wind and I have the traveler bar pulled back some as I mentioned earlier.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/20190728_144123.jpg>