[Rhodes22-list] boom hitting back stays

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 22:49:50 EDT 2019

Thanks for the quick feedback!  I should have posted with better photographs
last night, but I was worn out after an eventful first weekend with the
boat.  Sorry the light isn't the best in the photos from tonight, but I
wasn't able to get to the boat until a bit before sunset.  A caveat
regarding the photos from tonight is that the boat is not perfectly level as
it is parked on the trailer since the pavement is on a slight incline.  The
photos of the boat in the water are from the weekend.  The next time I'll be
able to get it in the water is Sunday.

Here are some notes in reply to the feedback in posts from the group:
1) Background about the boat: it is a 1991 model that was refurbished in
2013.  The prior owner is very helpful, but he is traveling out of the
country at the moment so I turned to the list for advice instead.
2) The main is a Doyle sail, apparently made for the Rhodes 22, that was
installed by the prior owner a few years ago.
3) I took off the topping lift while under sail and reattached it just
before furling the main.  I didn't realize that it is best to leave it on
during light wind.
3) Some photos of the roller furling drum are attached. Should I simply take
out the pin and turn clockwise to shorten the forestay?    Also, do I need
to unscrew the black plastic guide for the furling line or simply move the
line out the way and the guide would rotate as well.  Since it was a bit
late when I got to the boat today I didn't experiment with this yet.  Also I
assume that I may need to release tension on the lower aft stays before
tightening the forestay.
4) To get to the tension of 300 lb for the upper side stays and 200 lb for
the lower side stays, I simply tightened the turn buckles by hand though it
took some effort to reach that tension.  Is this too much tension?
5) The boom is at the standard height with the gooseneck set at the height
which allows for sailing with the pop top up.
6) If I'm reading the diagram from Richard and the example photos showing
the back stay tensioner on other Rhodes, it appears that mine is set
appropriately with the double purchase.  Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks in advance for your help!

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/StarboardViewAtDock.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/StarboardBowViewAtDock.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/UnderSail.jpg>