[Rhodes22-list] Cowie/GB storm clouds

mweisner at ebsmed.com mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jun 5 19:05:50 EDT 2019

Wow!  What's going on?  Storm clouds?

I went on a 10-day cruise and maintained WiFi silence, attempting to disconnect from the world and simply go for a sail.  As I sit and read da list I am truly concerned by the traffic, opinions and the requests.  I thought that we were a family, of sorts.

I have been asked by a few of you to remove certain members or prohibit their attempts to source sailing hardware or "compete" with General Boats.  As I have said to those list members and now to the entire list membership, I am the keeper of the list, not the owner.  I will not impose control, censure or remove members, unless specified by our charter.  While there is no doubt that Stan has benefitted from those who participate on the list as his customer service department, in-service education department, test pilots and cheering section, the list does not belong to General Boats nor was it conceived of as a part of GB.  Most of us have felt that our participation was well worth the time and effort.  Stan has usually found a way to say more than a simple thank you.  As a result, I have been happy to cough up the couple of hundred bucks a year it takes to host da list and help members learn to perform repairs or sail whenever time permits.

For those of us who have been working with Stan for decades (Stan and I met in 1980), we know that while his business practices and his communications skills sometimes come up a little short, he rarely ignores the persistent customer for very long.  I cannot imagine trying to operate an undercapitalized business like GB for all these years, especially when in his 90s.  His success is probably due to his stubbornness and exceptional work ethic.  I think that he can handle himself in the face of competition.

The discussion has, for the most part, been very interesting.  I am not alarmed by the thought that Chris will compete for the recycled market.  Clashes with Stan's goals are not unknown to da list.  We all have the right to support any supplier.  Some will undoubtedly chose GB while others will go directly to manufacturers (Dwyer, Doyle, etc.) or elect to purchase from Defender, West Marine or Voilier Yachts.  Hopefully, each will provide important choices that will enhance the used Rhodes 22 market.

Free enterprise, competition, adventures, free exchange of ideas, Rhodes 22 repairs and sailing instruction is what makes this list valuable to me.  After all these years I think that it still serves a worthwhile purpose and I wouldn't want to change a thing.  My hat's off to the founding members and those who have made contributions over the years.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY