[Rhodes22-list] Mast Mount Issue

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 08:03:58 EDT 2019

Dear All,

I am having a problem with my mast mount attachment to the cabin top.  When
launching last Sunday, a well meaning friend pushed up from the cockpit
intending to help the winch to lift the mast but instead popped the mount
off the cabin top. I attempted to reseat it using ribbed metal strips that
grip the holes and the screws.  The screws all seemed to be tight but when
raising the mast yesterday the mount popped off again just at the mast left
the stern crutch.  Nothing broke and nobody got hurt but I am back to
square one.

I remember past discussions about not using epoxy for the repair as it is
supposed to give rather than tear out the cabin top if anything goes
wrong.  I am planning to fill the holes with plastic wood, drill pilot
holes and rebed the mount.  I am also considering 1/2" longer screws for
more bearing surface.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.  I could not find
the past discussions on nabble.

Thanks,

*Stephen Staum*
*s/v Carol Lee 2*