[Rhodes22-list] Mast Mount Issue

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jun 9 10:14:35 EDT 2019

When we did this (doesn't everyone?) we refilled the holes with sawdust
or shavings and epoxy, let it cure and then redrilled the holes. Used
the same length wood screws. So not bedded in epoxy just rebuilt and
redrilled. We may have used non-adhesive bedding on the screws just to
help keep things dry.

Mary Lou
ex R-22
now Rosborough RF-246  Tara

On 6/9/2019 9:04 AM, Graham Stewart wrote:
> Stephen:
> I would definitely use epoxy rather than plastic wood. You really don't want water to work its way into the cabin top and I would not trust plastic wood even with sealant.
>
> I know that there has been discussion about not bolting the mast step to the cabin top, for the reason you mention, but filling damaged screw holes with epoxy should not be a problem.
>
> The fact that the screws came out so easily would make me want to check the condition of the core in the area just to make sure the core, if wood, is still solid.
>
> Graham

---