[Rhodes22-list] Spreaders

Mike Riter mike at traildesign.com
Sun Jun 30 16:04:33 EDT 2019

I went through this on one of my spreaders last year. The two screws were
stripped on one of the ends and couldn't be tightened. The shroud just slid
easily through and left a lot of slack when the mast was down and on the
trailer. The other was tight with no slipping. Since it came from the
factory that way I wasn't sure which was correct. I contacted Stan and said
it should be tight, but cautioned the spreader tips shouldn't be
overtightened. Just tight enough to hold the shroud in place when there is
no tension on it. I never got a replacement, but a quick internet search
led me to a company that makes machined aluminum versions for a 26'
Macgregor which has the same size spreader diameter and rigging. I remember
they weren't expensive ($14) and fit perfectly. I did have to drill new
holes in the spreader since the new tips didn't match the old holes, but it
was nice to have the sturdier parts up there instead of plastic. I did keep
the intact plastic one as an emergency backup.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to the website where I got them.
https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3204-110.htm

Mke Riter
SV Emma B