[Rhodes22-list] Launching tomorrow

Alexis Seigneurin alexis.seigneurin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 22:28:23 EDT 2019

I said I was going to launch my boat this weekend but I unfortunately had to give up. I had prepared the outboard (started on the first pull!), raised the mast (went smoothly!) and tensioned the rigging.

I was ready to launch, but the first problem arose when trying to pull the tongue of the trailer. I couldn’t extend it because the cable of the brakes (hydraulic?) was too short and I didn’t think it was a good idea to disconnect it. This, combined with the fact that the ramp was not very steep, that meant the truck was going to have to go in the water. Not great.

I tried anyway, but the ramp was too short, and going pas the end of the ramp meant more trouble. The hull of the Rhodes was still standing 3-4 inches above the water and I just couldn’t launch, so I decided to abort.

My boat is back on the boatyard and I’m hoping to get in the water with a forklift next weekend. The great thing is raising the mast was easy and I am now confident I can do it again fairly quickly.

One question I have is how much tension to put in the rigging. I put 300 lbs in the upper shrouds and 200 on the four lower shrouds. Do that sound about right? (For what it’s worth, I have an IMF.)

Alexis