[Rhodes22-list] Sailing the Med part dux (as in Ducks)

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Fri May 31 15:27:42 EDT 2019

Well I arrived a couple of days ago and found the boat fine if a bit
covered in volcanic dust.  But that is to be expected when the "boat yard"
is part way up the side of a dormant volcano (I hope) on the island of
Ischia in the Bay of Naples.  There is about a week's worth of work to do.
I was planning to have the hull painted but there isn't time so I'll settle
for the "a pealing" look instead.  I am really looking forward to this
segment of the trip because it will mark the 50th anniversary of my first
long trip in a small boat.  Back then it was an 18'wooden lightning  and
involved sailing to Sicily then to the heel of Italy and over to Greece.
Well I was young and bit crazy to attempt something like that then; being
much more mature and experienced, I'm doing it in a Rhodes, a whole 4'
longer!  Plus it doesn't leak and I don't have to sleep outside.  Oh and
the best thing is I get to do this trip with my wife.The trip from
Barcelona was fun but I think this will be even more so.  I'll keep you all
posted and send along a few pics too.  I am glad I can share this trip with
an appreciative audience and one so knowledgeable.  This boat really is a
magic carpet.  Attached is a view from my BnB, one that shows (if you
enlarge it a bit)  The penultimate island I visited on the Rhodes last
year, Ventotene (25nm) and just behind it Ponza (almost 50nm).  A clear day
today.

Chris Geankoplis
S/V ENOSIS