[Rhodes22-list] gb policy change (continued)

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Fri Nov 1 12:34:47 EDT 2019

Near the top of my reasons for buying an R22 is this list. A strong, active
(virtual) community of owners is an invaluable resource.

I've owned a number of sailboats and most of them were out of production
when I bought them. However, there is a huge online community of O'Day,
Cape Dory and Pearson owners who were there to help me figure out solutions
to the challenges I faced when I owned those boats.

There were only about two dozen Nimble 30's built and they've been out of
production for years. The manufacturer appears to be in existence but
doesn't support this model. I still love the boat, but I'm selling it
because I just don't want to put in the time in to maintain it. The lack of
an owner's community and the fact that it is long out of production did not
influence my decision. Of course it would have been great if I could have
been in touch with other owners while I was actively restoring the boat.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's great to own a boat that is
still in production, that is only one factor in calculating the value of
the boat. Based on history of other small sailboat manufacturers it is
unlikely that General Boats will exist forever. If someday GB is no more
(or if GB stops selling new boats) I do not think that will prevent people
from buying and enjoying R22's. I'd venture to say that if you did a survey
of sailboat owners only a small minority could say they own a boat that is
currently in production. Yet they still buy and sail those boats.

I will tell you what I think is a huge factor in the value of a sailboat:
the availability of specialized replacement parts as well as the
willingness of a manufacturer or other organization to support the boats
that are currently in use. Those things mean far more to me than whether or
not someone else can go out and buy a 2020 model of said boat. I'd argue
that a manufacturer who is willing to support their boats regardless of
where they were purchased leads to a significant boost to the resale value
of those boats. (For the record, yes I did shell out for the CoS.)

A somewhat related example: for many years I've done lighting design for
and community theaters and school productions.  One of the big players in
that market is a company called ETC. I've called ETC with questions about a
lighting console that had not been in production for 20 years. Got right
through to tech support and had my answer in minutes. They did not ask
where and when the board was purchased. I've also ordered parts for that
console. They are still in stock and priced very reasonably. If I have a
choice I will always use ETC products. Their reputation in this industry is
second to none.

The value of an object like a boat is highly subjective and involves many
factors, so the calculation will be different for every buyer/owner.

Mark Whipple
Boston, MA

s/v Tiny Dancer
2000 R22