[Rhodes22-list] boom hitting back stays

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 20:50:27 EST 2019

Since this post generated some interest (thanks for all the input), here is
an update:

During the sailing season, I drilled a new hole a little over halfway
between the lower and upper mast setting, which you can see with the green
arrow in the first attached photo.  This eliminated the clearance issues
with the backstay.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/20190918_193949_LI.jpg>

At this setting the pop top had to be down and I added a boom vang which you
can see on the next photo.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/20190817_184227.jpg>

Now that my boat is off the water for the winter, I went ahead and shortened
my boom by 3.25".  Without the cap, that leaves 119.75" for the extrusion
and with the cap, it comes out to 120-1/8".  This does not count the
gooseneck hardware.  Before I cut the boom, I had 6.5" of excess outhaul
clearance (shown below) so now I'll be down to about half of that.  I didn't
want to go too far and regret it.  In the photos below you can see it after
shortening, along with the piece that I cut off.
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/ShortenedBoom.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/20191109_130826.jpg>

My boom is still a bit longer than what was reported by others, but I should
be able to leave it on the higher setting now without interfering with the
backstays.

In case anyone else finds themselves in this situation, here's the steps I
took:
- drilled out the rivets that hold the cap on
- pried / tapped out the end cap
- unscrewed the remaining hardware
- removed the outhaul rope and slide out the outhaul car and hardware
- used a miter saw with a metal cutting blade to cut off the excess length
- mark the spot for a 3/4" hole for the outhaul rope to go through the boom
- use a drill press, starting with a small bit and drilling progressively
larger holes to get to 3/4"
- inserted the end cap and used the drill press to dril new holes for rivets
(I didn't try to match the old holes)
- rivet on the end cap
- drill new holes for the hardware on top and bottom of the hole for the
outhaul, then screw this hardware in
- put the outhaul and car back on

Fortunately I was able to borrow a chop saw with a metal cutting blade as
well as a drill press and bits so that made this job a lot better than if I
was trying to use a hack saw and hand drill.

I'm looking forward to sailing with the pop top up and the bimini overhead
next season.