[Rhodes22-list] Trailering and storage of the R22

Charlie S challey52 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 11:19:47 EST 2019

Greetings all from a soon to be Rhodes 22 owner.

My "new" R22 is a used boat, but one who's owner keep her in great shape.
She also comes with a Triad single axle trailer, which is great since I
will need to move her about 100 miles when we complete the sale. I'm a
novice sailor but essentially a total greenhorn regarding towing and boat
storage Here's my questions:

   - Do I need a weight distribution hitch or is my simple ball hitch good
   enough? The tow vehicle is an XC90 with a nominal towing capacity of 4.960
   lbs.
   - What do I need in the way of tie-downs (capacity, length, number)?
   Where do they get placed?
   - For winter storage, do I leave the sails furled on their stay/mast or
   should I remove them? Assuming the sails should be unfurled for the winter,
   I think I can figure out the jib sail, but the main sail seems like it will
   be more of a challenge. Are there any instructions that you can point me to
   for this?
   - I will have the marina winterize the engine and I'll pull the
   batteries and store them in my basement on a trickle charger. Other than
   ensuring the tarp is placed properly and tied down well, what else needs to
   be done to store the boat?

Regards,

Charlie S