[Rhodes22-list] Bilge question

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Nov 19 21:36:31 EST 2019

Bob,

Water can get into the bilge in many different ways.  In my case, it mostly comes in through a leaky deck-hull joint when I bury a rail.  Based on my reading of the archives, it seems that rain water intrusion is a more common source.

One of the primary reasons that I didn’t like my carpeted cabin sole was that it was difficult to check the bilge.  Since you’ve gone through the effort despite the carpet, and found no water, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I take care of the water that finds its way into my bilge with a bucket and a sponge.  I’m not one to be afraid to add complexity to the boat, but this is a situation where I favor the simpler approach.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)