[Rhodes22-list] hatch on foredeck

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 15:50:02 EST 2019

I was browsing through the rhodes22.org website and happened to stumble on a
photo of a hatch in the middle of the foredeck.  This is clearly a different
design than the hatches towards of the front of the cabin roof that are
installed by GB.  I assume that the normal hatch placement in the front of
the cabin roof was purposeful just like everything else, but I wasn't
certain about the reasoning.  Many other boat models do place a hatch on the
foredeck so that is not unusual.

It seems like the placement in the middle of the foredeck would be good for
air flow, but it seems like sealing it would be challenging, particularly
with the raised middle portion of the foredeck and the recessed grip area on
either side.  Perhaps there could be structural support concerns as well.
My boat doesn't have a hatch but that could be a future project.  Does
anyone know how the hatch placement from this photo worked out and what
model hatch may have been used?  Thanks

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Gallant2.jpg

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t907/Gallant2foredeckhatch.jpg>