[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 advice sought

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 20:41:34 EDT 2019

Mary Lou wrote the book (at least a chapter of a good book).    Sailing
Small is a good collection of people using small boats well, instead of
fools trying to become a YouTube sensation.   For the goals you list, I
wanted a boat with integral flotation and a keel I could trust not to pivot
up in a knockdown.   Since I wanted my significant other to join me often, I
knew I needed a head.

I’ve had my Rhodes 22 for almost four years.   I have several years
experience on small boats,  mostly a fast tender dinghy (Bucc 18).   This is
the first year work and life prevented a cruise.   I’ve played on Kentucky
Lake,  Stan’s corner of the Abermarle, parts of Michigan and Erie, either
with my GF or alone.    It works well for a couple, I haven’t been brave
enough to try a cruise with a dog.   It’s shallow draft is great for
Kentucky Lake in the fall, or Erie.   It’s ok to solo launch or trailer, I
wouldn’t want to go much bigger or heavier.   I intend to cruise more when I
retire, and planned ahead with this boat.    I would consider investing in a
double axle trailer for your longer road trips.

I mostly single hand daysail, though had small groups out several times
either on my home puddle or meeting friends at destinations.      I think
I’ve logged about 30 day or night sails on this boat (plus a handful on the
old boat) since April and had 10 first time passengers.    The large cockpit
is great for this.  IMO convenience is the benefit of in mast furling, for
long coastal hops a traditional main with jiffy reefing becomes less
inconvenient.   Furling the Rhodes alone in the dark with only a crescent
moon is a breeze.    The mast is a bit heavy, and she may not be the best in
heavy wind venues, but you don’t live near San Francisco Bay.    The Rhodes
completely satisfied my goal of dramatically increasing my weather window
and allowing sails when I had limited pockets of time.

Chris Geankoplis is living the dream.   Track down his postings to see the
potential of the boat as a pocket cruiser.    Then share your adventures, so
us working stiffs can admire and dream.

Alex

-----
Alex Cole