[Rhodes22-list] lowering mast

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 15:36:44 EDT 2019

I have the standard GB roller furler for the genoa.  It slides into a grove
on the furler but it is secured in place with a screw at the top and a screw
at the bottom instead of being raised with a halyard.  I had to take off my
genoa for cleaning last Saturday.  I also had to remove the main sail which
requires some minor repair.  After lowering the mast, I secured the jib
furler bundle to the mast using the topping lift, and then removed the whole
mast, and jib bundle from the boat and put it on the grass.  It's not light
when you have all of that bundled together and I had a couple of people help
me with moving the mast bundle down to the grass.  Once it was on the grass,
I unfurled the genoa to remove it.  For the main sail, I slid the furler out
of the mast, then unfurled it and unscrewed it for removal.

I plan to keep the GB jib furler as long as it is working well.  If I run
into problems with that in the future then I may replace it with CDI or some
other system that makes it possible to take the jib off without lowering the
mast.

A follow up question for the group:
- Do you remove the jib for winter storage?
- Do you remove the main sail for winter storage?

I'll keep both sails off the boat this winter since they are already off,
but I'm not sure about future years.

I'm getting a mast down winter cover made by the local sailboat shop and it
would be nice to leave the sails on if I'm able to ensure the furled sails
are covered.  Any suggestions on this?