[Rhodes22-list] lowering mast

Cary Tolbert retiredtoby at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 12:17:18 EDT 2019

Mark, my chains are on my boat, but I think they are about 12 to 14 inches
long. I stopped using the chains because though better than no chains the
system left a lot to be desired as far as the distance the mast would
swing. I saw my marina friend's system on his Catalina 22 MKII. So I rigged
a quick and simple system that works well for me. Six feet up the mast I
wrap and tie 18 foot of 1/4 inch line from the center of line length. Then
I use duct tape to hold the wrap in place and attach the loose ends to the
hand rails on the cabin top using a double half hitch knot, both port and
starboard.  I does not sway near as much as when I use the chain system.
Cheap and easy to put up and take down.  Hopefully this has not confused
you too much.
Cary Tolbert
S/V Whisper
Radford VA