[Rhodes22-list] gb business

stan stan at generalboats.com
Thu Oct 24 20:29:39 EDT 2019

//
> // ///general boats policy change/
> This being of major importance to Rhodes owners and wannabes, it will
> be presented in 3 short segments so as to not interfere with normal
> List activity.
> Part One: Understanding the Industry:
> "What's to understand? It is just like the car business."  Many of us
> share this common, 180 degree mistaken view in almost all aspects of
> comparisons:
1.    Sales.   We all know millions of cars are manufactured each year.
Counting /every *size* //sailboat/ made in the U.S., take a guess at the
grand total of all sailboats built last year. I will settle for the
nearest ten thousand.  "American sailboat production last year hit its
*highest* level since *2008*, roughly *7,000*." A number so
insignificant, no one notices it alongside the cars built figure.

2.    It's the Economy.   99.99% of Rhodes owners and wannabes
characterize themselves as "middle class". They cannot function in our
society without owning or having access to a car. Budgeting reflects
that fact of life.  At the slightest hint of a drop in discretionary
spending funds, the first item to be lopped off the family wish list is
a sailboat; a car, the last.

3.   Life expectancy.   In years past we went to the annual automobile
shows for the fun of seeing the new look in driving. New designs were
uncloaked yearly; cars did nor last that long and we were back in the
market.  Today the looks of new cars emerge less frequently, some on a
six year term as the manufacturer sees this as the timing for an owner
to be needing a new one.  Most all of us buy a new car a meaningful
number of times in our lifetime. The life expectancy of today's
sailboats is greater than that of its buyer.  Most "sailors" buy a
sailboat once, maybe twice, in their life.

Bottom Line.   If anything, the sailboat business has more in common
with the housing business where a change in location is dictated by a
job change or a family need for something larger, or smaller; changes
that happen once or twice in a lifetime or not at all. Given this
background on how diverse automobile and sailboat manufacturing are, the
next time you are about to take issue with GB's business plan vs Ford's,
take a second look at the above factual partial list of the differences,
and bite your tongue.  If others tell you, "GB should not do something
because GM does not do that", bite their tongue.  Coming: A boat being
built vs a historic footnote.  As always, if anyone has any comments re
this or the next and/or final installment, I am ready to listen - and
respond.

stan