[Rhodes22-list] Hello! Looking for a winter cover, preferably mast up.

JP Dempsey joedempsey at hughes.net
Mon Sep 16 17:03:16 EDT 2019

I sent the following message direct to Graham earlier and then thought info
may be helpful to the List:
"Graham, I use about a 30' x 15' tarp for winter storage. It has lived
through about 10 winters here in Virginia. We've had some pretty heavy snows
(12-20") and high winds (45-65 mph) during those winters. It came with boat
when I acquired in 2016. Had been on "Respite" for 5 years (year round)
prior with previous owner when he couldn't sail.  It is wearing thin in a
few places and I had to repair a couple of tears, but I think I have a
couple winters left in it.  Not sure of the source, but it seems to be
better than "homeowner" grade from Home Depot.  May be from Harbor Freight.
I recall pricing the size from HF around $89 but not sure of the mil
thickness. I do know it's much heavier quality with reinforced grommets than
HD quality. I also have a bunch of different sized bungees. Be sure to
support spreaders (I use 2 x4's notched for 1" tubing and secure them to
penthouse rails). I also lash a broomstick handle to Genoa furling bundle to
protect it and keep it from from bending."

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Tarp_Bow.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Tarp_Starboard_Beam.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Tarp_Starboard_Qtr.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Tarp_Stern_View.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Jib_Furling_Storage_with_Lashed_Support.jpg>
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Mast_Storage_Support.jpg>

One other thing, it allows me access on board through the swim ladder while
covered.

Hope photos help. I may have to resend. Let me know if they don't all come
through. Good luck!

-----
JP Dempsey
s/v Respite