[Rhodes22-list] First sail on my Rhodes22

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 21:51:10 EDT 2019

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and advice on maybe
cleaning my carb.

On Saturday when my buddy and I went out for my second ever sail and my
first time launching at the Southport marina ramp, we were able to turn the
boat 180 degrees by hand around the end of the dock before starting out in
forward going out the narrow alley with two tight 90 degree turns leading to
the ICW.

Today I went on my first solo sail, my third time sailing. It must have been
amusing for anyone watching me leave the marina.  With the wind and someone
on the other side of the dock, I didn’t think it would be possible for me to
manhandle the boat around pointing out the alley. Not really knowing how to
do a pivot turn, I backed all the way out including the two 90 degree turns
to the intercostal waterway. I sailed for 3 hours fumbling around at times
for sure, but made it back alive and didn’t ram anyone’s boat.

With a full main and the 175 Genoa unfurled I had the rail almost in the
water once and showed a gps speed of a little over 8 mph (I haven’t reset my
instrument to knots yet). I just looked at the current and wind history for
the time I was out between 3:00 and 6:00 and I had a 1 knot current helping
me when I was doing 8 mph. Winds were fairly consistent at a little over 10
with gusts to 14 knots. 8 mph is 6.95. Subtracting the 1 kt current help, I
think I might have being doing hull speed of close to 6 kts briefly.

Solo sailing I did find myself wishing the cleats to hold the Genoa sheets
were angled more toward the center of the cockpit. The cleat on the port is
straight fore and aft. The one on the starboard is angled maybe 30 degrees
in. When I was sitting on the windward side and wanted to adjust the sheet
on the lee (especially the port cleat), I would have to lean way over to
that side to release the cleat. Is this normal and something I’ll get used
to? Has anyone angled their cleats in to make them easier to release without
leaning over to that side?

George
S/V Knotty Lady