[Rhodes22-list] Motor Lift Failure and Repair

Gary Felix gfelix1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 11:07:13 EDT 2019

About a month ago, I discovered that the motor lift on my R22 would not
raise the motor to the up position. It would lower the motor without
problem. However, with hurricane Dorian approaching with the possible need
move the boat from its lift to its trailer, a motor in the fully lowered
position was a problem. I quickly was over my head in electrical
troubleshooting, so I called Warn, the manufacturer of the 1700 winch used
for the lift. Their support team suspected a solenoid problem in the
control unit that is installed with a strap to the winch motor itself.

The Warn 1700 is a discontinued model. It has been replaced by the Warn
92000, which I ordered from Amazon for $99. I elected to use a mobile
marine service to do the contortions needed to work on the winch in the
lazerette. By running jumper cables from the battery directly to the
terminals on the winch motor (bypassing the control unit), it was
determined that the motor operated without issues in both the up and down
directions, depending on which polarity was applied to which terminal. We
decided to leave the motor from the 1700 and install only the control unit
and remote from the 92000. I should mention that the old remote appeared to
have different pin configurations than the new, so the new remote was used.
The one catch was that the plastic housing of the new control unit was
shaped differently that the old. It could not be installed with the strap
around the motor because the port cockpit drain was in the way. The control
unit was cable tied in place next to the motor.

I've attached pics of the old installation and the new one, in hopes that
this may help others who run into this problem.

Gary
Panacea, FL