[Rhodes22-list] Preventing bow damage when trailering

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Sep 28 16:07:21 EDT 2019

I’m surprised you were able to get the bow of your boat right up against the ‘bow stop’ when towing.  Even if I pull the bow up to the stop when the boat is in the water, once the trailer and boat are on dry land there’s about a 6 inch gap between them.

There’s a chance that what you’ve damaged is paint rather than gelcoat.  I asked when I picked up my recycled boat from General Boats in 2016, and was told that my blue hull is painted with Alexseal T5153 Flag Blue.  (The topsides are still gelcoat.)  Alexseal paint is good stuff.  It can be applied with roller and/or brush, then sanded and buffed.  The ‘Boatworks Today’ YouTube channel has covered it recently.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)