[Rhodes22-list] First sail on my Rhodes and leaks!

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Sep 29 13:00:03 EDT 2019

If your centerboard leaks, it will generally leak even with that mellow
sail. If the rub rails leak, It may only leak when heeled over. If
you've got rainwater leakes they will most likely become apparent even
with the boat on the trailer, however note that water can hide in some
places and then only become appearent when the boat moves around a lot.
If you get water in the lazarette, say from pinhole leaks in the cockpit
seat drain hoses, that water can eventually make it almost anywhere in
the boat and then reappear when the boat is heeled. It can take a lot of
investigative work to find the source of leaks but a Rhodes can have a
dust dry bilge. From your description, my first guess would be the rub
rails. Good luck on finding it.

Mary Lou
ex R22
now Rosborough RF 246

On 9/29/2019 6:57 AM, Mitch Mitchell wrote:
> Good points, I guess a mellow sail would be the best first step. Thanks, MM
>
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 4:34 PM Peter Nyberg <peter at sunnybeeches.com> wrote:
>
>> Since you mention that you spent a lot of time heeled over, my top suspect
>> would be a leaky deck-hull joint.  I know that if I sail with a rail in the
>> water, I’ll end up with water in the bilge.  I’ve never had anything close
>> to 10 gallons in the bilge, but then I generally try to keep the rail out
>> of the water.  If I bury the rail more than once in while, I figure that
>> I’m past due for reefing.  Lowering the boom to its lower position will
>> also help to keep the boat more upright, but I don’t like sailing with the
>> boom lower.
>>
>> I’d suggest the easiest way to investigate further would be to go sailing
>> again on a day with less wind.  If, after a day of even-keeled sailing, the
>> bilge is dry, you’ve found your problem.  If there’s still water in the
>> bilge, then it’s time to suspect the centerboard gasket.  You might be able
>> to confirm the centerboard gasket hypothesis by putting enough water into
>> the boat to submerge the gasket, and see if water leaks out.
>>
>> BTW, at present, I have no intention of fixing my deck-hull joint leak. It
>> seems like too big a project for too small a problem.
>>
>> Peter Nyberg
>> Coventry, CT
>> s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)
>>
>>> On Sep 28, 2019, at 7:45 AM, Mitch Mitchell <mitchpadl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, I bought my Rhodes 22 (1990) about a year ago and finally got it
>> out
>>> for the first real sail yesterday. After reading Thomas's post I felt I
>> had
>>> been wimping out waiting for the perfect conditions! anyway, the original
>>> forecast was 10 - 15 but of course it was a steady 20 with gusts higher.
>>> The boat sailed great (mostly with just the mainsail) however upon
>>> returning to the ramp and loading the boat back on the trailer I noticed
>>> the carpet wet in the cabin and pulled it back and looked in the sump
>> area
>>> and it was full of water. After bailing about 10 gallons we took the boat
>>> home and now need to figure out the problem. Hopefully someone can direct
>>> me on how to troubleshoot. The boat was heeled over quite a bit for most
>> of
>>> the time so wondering if water could have been forced through the sink
>>> drain and the other opening since I would imagine the hoses to those are
>>> dry rotted on the inside. Thanks for any suggestions! Mitch

---