[Rhodes22-list] Shroud extenders

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu Apr 16 13:15:23 EDT 2020

Mike,

No!  On S/V Dynamic Equilibrium, the aft lower sidestays, the upper sidestays remain, and the double backstays attached to their respective chainplates.  You must be careful none of them are tangled and not fouled on anything.  S/V Dynamic Equilibrium’s remote engine control levers seem to be irresistibly attacted to getting fouled by the port side backstay and I have to keep an eye on them throughout the entire mast stepping process!  When the mast is in the down position resting in the crutch and attached to the mast tabernacle, it is ready to be stepped.  The extenders are attached to the bottom of the forward lower sidestays (below the turnbuckles) and then to the gin pole mast raising device. The gin pole should be essentially perpendicular to the deck and the line from the winch on the gin pole runs to one of the bow docking cleats.  Be certain you can tie a secure cleat knot on this line.  Or, even better, tie a loop with a bowline knot and then thread this loop  thru the center hole in the cleat and then around the horns of the cleat.  When the mast has been stepped, unhook one of the extenders from the gin pole and attach that forward lower sidestay to its chainplate.  Then, do the same with the other forward lower sidestay.  Then, attach the forestay to its chainplate.  Finally, unrig and remove the gin pole mast raising device.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium