[Rhodes22-list] What Nut for the Tabernacle Bolt?

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Apr 18 15:21:59 EDT 2020

Now there’s an interesting rigging detail for a snowy day in April…

Using a nylock nut for the mast tabernacle bolt as Mike suggests would seem like a prudent choice.  But my boat, after its recycling trip through the General Boats plant in 2016, was outfitted with a wing nut on that bolt.  It never occurred to me to question the appropriateness of this.

I’ve never had it loosen up on it’s own.  When it’s tightened, it compresses the sides of the tabernacle a bit, which keeps it under constant tension.  Maybe that tension is acting like a lock-washer.

What do others have: nylock nut, wing nut, or something else?

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)