[Rhodes22-list] Spring Lines

Jay Friedland jayf401 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 13:58:17 EDT 2020

Sean,
It all depends on the exposure to the elements. Mel & I are on the same island but completely different factors to deal with. Mel is fairly protected in a lagoon, so his lines are fine for that location. Wanderlust is in a  narrow slip in a marina with a sea wall surrounding the boats. It has 11’ of clearance, and exposed to high winds, some wave action and up to 2-1/2’ of tidal change. While it’s not all visible in the attached photo (if it’s not stripped away), is the following, using all 1/2” lines-

1) bow lines to pilings at a 90°
2) spring lines to adjustable midship cleats on 1” T-tracks, 30” of movement
3) Tide-minders on each stern line

I’ve been through over 12 seasons of squalls, glancing hurricanes, excessive tides and only have to worry about other people’s boats. The other advantage of midship cleats is the versatility of docking in many situations. I hope this helps.

Jay Friedland
S/v Wanderlust, ‘97