[Rhodes22-list] Bow Eye vs. Bow Cleat?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Apr 24 08:22:02 EDT 2020

Peter,

I find if I run the anchor line from the bow eye thru the bow chock and then to the bow cleat; that, I don’t get any chafing.

If I need to adjust the anchor rode in the middle of the night, mine is neatly coiled up in the bucket on the foredeck ready for use.  I just uncleat the anchor rode from the bow cleat and I can do whatever needs doing.  The anchor rode slides in either direction thru the bow eye with no issues.  With your anchor rode attached to the end of the painter, 10 feet away from the bow and maybe stretched as tight as a guitar string due to a storm &/or tidal flow, what do you do?  With the painter attached to the bow eye with a shackle and a thimble, there is no way to quick release it there.  If you need to increase the scope quickly, what do you do?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium