[Rhodes22-list] Swinging at anchor?

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Apr 24 12:55:48 EDT 2020

Both of my Rhodes, Wind Lass (1991) and, previously Shanghai'd Summer
(1981), spend their summers, when not under sail, in the Nissequogue River
on a 250 lbs. mushroom anchor mooring.  To properly set the anchor and
provide ample scope, the anchor has 35' of 1/2" chain from the mushroom
"eye" to the mooring float with a swivel located 10' below the surface.  The
mean low water in the mooring basin is 8' and we experience a 8+' tidal
change.

The chain is brought through the float and connects to a pair of 12' x 5/8"
double braided nylon mooring pennants using a 6" shackle through the spliced
stainless steel thimbles and the top link of the chain.  The mooring
pennants are run through the bow chocks (on the toe rails) to the two
docking cleats in the center of the bow deck.  The soft eyes are run under
the center of the cleat and secured over the ears of the cleats.  It doesn't
matter which line (port or starboard) is routed to each cleat (fore or aft).
This gives me double connection to the mooring, at least above the
waterline.  The only issue is some twisting as the boat sails around the
mooring.  If it is significant, it means that I have not been sailing
enough.

Since the mooring basin contains mixed craft, power and sail, and has a 5
know current at peak tidal flow, the boats "sail" quite a bit.  The
interesting thing is that the power boats seem to be affected by wind and
currents in opposite manner to the sailboats, much of the time.  For this
reason, the moorings need to widely spaced to avoid collisions when moored.

I prefer the double braid lines to the three strand braids.  They both
stretch about 15% to take up shock but the double braids seem to last
longer.  The triple braids sometimes "open up" or unbraid as the loads
change during tides.

The mooring anchor was only moved a couple of times while the boat was
moored and that was during hurricanes when I was unable to retrieve the boat
due to travel plans.  No serious damage resulted, fortunately.  I am happy
that BoatUS insurance will pay the retrieval costs in the event of a storm
if I am unable in an effort to mitigate risk.

After nearly 40 years, I prefer the mooring over the slip for security and
ease of sailing.  I can sail right off the mooring and back on to it if the
winds and currents are favorable.  I use a pickup buoy with a 6' flag which
is easily retrieved at the bow by hand or with a pole.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY