[Rhodes22-list] Bow Eye vs. Bow Cleat?

JeffSmith jeffsmithphoto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 17:36:22 EDT 2020

Newbie here.  I have yet to anchor an R22, but have had larger sailboats
previously.  I like the idea of anchoring from the bow eye for all the
reasons given and dislike it because of having to lie down on my stomach to
thread the chain through the bow eye and up to the anchor. Radiant has bow
cleats port and starboard - not chocks and a central cleat.

1. Tie off one end of dock line to one cleat and run the loop end through
the bow eye and up on deck.
2. Run the chain end through the loop of the dock line.
3. Attach chain to anchor.
4. Deploy anchor and let out appropriate length of rhode and back down on
anchor.
5. Snub dock line and anchor rhode up to the bow eye and tie the dock line
off on the opposite cleat as the rhode.

The advantages are that the soft dock line does not chafe the anchor rhode
and to let out more scope just ease the dock line and re-snub after letting
out rhode. Also lie on belly only on initial set up of dock line which can
be left attached and easily used as a regular dock line.

-----
Jeff Smith
2009 R22 #101 RADIANT
Atlantic Highlands Municpal Harbor