[Rhodes22-list] Fabric Anchor Rode Chain Cover

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon Apr 27 11:04:29 EDT 2020

Jeff,

The fabric cover for the anchor chain is 2” tubular webbing.  For tubular webbing the dimension refers to the width of the tube laid flat.  Formed into round tube, the webbing would have an outside circumference of 4”, so a diameter of about 1.27”.

The primary purpose of the webbing is to protect the deck from the chain.  Since I have the bow sprit and anchor roller, I usually deploy and retrieve the anchor while standing in the cockpit, and leave the rode attached to the anchor more or less permanently.

You may have noticed in the video that the webbing is bright, clean, and shiny.  That’s because it hasn’t actually been used yet.  It is a completely untested concept.

I has occurred to me that the cover may also pick up less mud that the uncovered chain.  If true, this would be a nice bonus.  But since I handle the rode from the cockpit, and there’s only 10’ of chain, I generally don’t need to touch the chain.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)