[Rhodes22-list] Epoxy

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Wed Aug 5 08:53:58 EDT 2020

I enjoy reading all of the opinions and advice offered on this list. Here
are a few thoughts related to a recent set of threads. It seems I have a
talent for making posts that get zero responses - let's see if that trend
continues!

I've used epoxy on a variety of boats over the years. When doing a total
renovation on a 28' Pearson Triton, the cost of epoxy was getting up there.
I did some research and tried some sources other than West Systems. I
settled on using RAKA epoxy (http://www.raka.com/epoxy.html) for a few
reasons. It is lower viscosity than West (granted, I haven't used West in
years) making it easier to wet out fiberglass cloth and to saturate wood
core; it is simpler to measure since it's two parts resin to one part
hardener; it is less expensive than West. RAKA also sells a variety of
epoxy types and additives. I also recall a phone conversation when I was
ordering where the owner asked about my project so he could help me buy
what I needed. I just thought it was good for people to know that there are
alternatives.

Regarding filling a hole with a reduced-strength epoxy mixture, you might
try some of the additives that are used to make it easier to sand hardened
epoxy. Two that come to mind are microballoons and glass bubbles. You could
also add wood flour which I think would also reduce the strength of the
epoxy. Wood flour is much finer than sawdust (which might also work). If
you have a sander with an attached collection bag, you'll have wood flour
if you sand hardwood with something like a 150 or 220 grit.

Hope that helps!

Mark

--
Boston, MA