[Rhodes22-list] Mast step/tabernacle question

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Wed Aug 5 09:06:33 EDT 2020

The Rhodes 22 is the only boat I've encountered where the tabernacle is
designed to break away from the deck or cabin roof under stress. Most other
deck-stepped masts would have the mast step or tabernacle through-bolted to
the deck with substantial backing blocks. I understand that the design goal
is to allow the tabernacle to break away from the cabin room if something
goes awry while raising the mast. In providing that breakaway ability is
the integrity of the mast step while under sail compromised? I get that
we're talking about a different set of forces but having only about 5/8"
length of screws holding the mast step in place during a good blow makes me
wonder. On a 28' sailboat I once owned a rigger used 5200 (AKA the Devil's
Glue) to attach the mast step to the cabin roof even though it was
through-bolted to a hefty carrying beam below.

Mark
--
Boston, MA

2000 R22 *Luna Mia*